I thought it was going to be a nightmare to get my residence visa after joining my husband in Germany.  I actually found quite the opposite.  If you follow the right steps and provide the correct documents – it can actually be quite easy.  This is just my experience and by sharing it, I hope I can help answer some questions that others may have.

Before beginning – this is definitely not legal advice nor should it be construed as such.

Facts: I am Canadian – my husband is German.  We were living in Vancouver, Canada and wanted to move to Germany.

The first question was where to get married.  British Columbia or Germany?  When I looked into the requirements to get married in Germany, there was a lot of paperwork – it can sometimes take a few months of prep work to get the paperwork in order.  There is also a requirement for a birth certificate, which is something I don’t have.  I was born in Afghanistan and no birth certificate was issues (to date, babies born in Afghanistan rarely are issued a birth certificate).  On the other hand, British Columbia’s marriage process is very easy – first, we went to get a marriage license which cost $100 and required some sort of ID (passport or driver’s license).  Then we called a marriage commissioner and arranged for the ceremony.  You don’t need any additional paperwork.  After the ceremony, the marriage commissioner mailed away the signed documents to Vital Statistics who then issued us the marriage certificate by mail.  It usually takes about 2 weeks. The German authorities require a few additional steps after receiving the marriage certificate.  They need it to be “authenticated”. To do this, we sent the original marriage certificate to the Ministry of Justice – to the attention of the Authentication Clerk (this will vary in each province – just google “authentication” and your province) with a cheque for $30.  Although there is little actual processing time, the mailing time can take a few days.  We received the “authenticated” marriage certificate and then continued to the next step. We took this to the German consular in our city (hope there is one – otherwise you have to send it to the closest one) to get it “legalized”.  Don’t ask me what the difference is – I still don’t know.  This took about 10 mins, while I waited and for a cost of $25 or so.  That was it for the marriage document requirements.

Before flying over, I would suggest getting some health insurance.  I’m still not sure if it is a technical requirement or not, but I bought some for 6 months or so just to be safe.  You never know what the immigration officers will want.

Once I arrived in Germany, we went to the local city hall in Stuttgart with the form, our passports and proof of accommodation (we used my husband’s parents’ address) and registered to receive the Anmeldung.  This is just actually a paper that says you are registered in they system at a German address  – it’s not a visa or any entitlement – just a registration of location.  Everyone in Germany has to do this – whether you are a foreigner or not.  After we received this, we were able to call the Ausländerbehörde or the Foreigners’ Office to make an appointment for obtaining the residence permit.

When we went in for the appointment, I thought it was going to be an interview or something much more formal than it actually was. We had the required forms filled out, copies of our passports, our authenticated and legalized marriage certificate, our Anmeldung, a passport photo, bank statements (some evidence of financial support) – I also brought proof of my health insurance but the officer didn’t ask for it.  It ended up just a short meeting at a counter where the officer took our documents to enter into the system.

I was surprised at how nice and polite the woman at the office was.  I am used to dealing with American or Canadian immigration officers who, for the most part, are all like robots and are intimidating.  This woman was pleasant, friendly and helpful.  She asked the right questions but was not intimidating or interrogating.

About 20 minutes later, I had my application approved – three years residence permit with the right to work right away.  I also received the entitlement to learn German through German integration courses – this isn’t a requirement as I am a Canadian citizen but if you are interested in learning German, it provides the courses at a discounted rate (1 Euro per hour of instruction).

Willkommen in Deutschland!

How to get a German Residence Visa for Your Spouse

Tagged , , , , ,

66 thoughts on “How to get a German Residence Visa for Your Spouse

  1. B says:

    Hey there, thanks for the info. Was this any specific type of residence visa? Does it say on your visa that you have the right to work?

    • HelloBonjour says:

      No, not to my knowledge. It was just a residence visa for a spouse of a German citizen. And yes, I do have the right to work. Although I do not have my card yet (I still haven’t picked it up), I have had the right to work from the date we had th appointment with the immigration office. Unlike Canada, the visa is valid right then…you don’t hvae to wait for it to become valid or anything! Good luck!

  2. Hi, do you know if australians are also excepted for the german language requirerement? thanks!

    • HelloBonjour says:

      Actually, yes – I’m pretty sure they are also under the exception. I think it’s pretty much all countries that are English-speaking. Good luck!

  3. greg says:

    hi – just resurrecting this thread. I am in the same situation. Partner and I have been together for 7 years but decided to move to Germany. Is there a source of info for all the forms and paperwork we have to provide?, Thanks

    • HelloBonjour says:

      Hi greg – thanks for your comment. No, I couldn’t find a “one stop shop” for all the forms and paperwork. There was a lot of information on an expat blog called Toytown Germany which helped quite a bit. But I just basically searched a bunch of different sites and accumulated the info from all of them. The important thing I found was that it really depends what office you go to – I went in Stuttgart and getting the visa was a piece of cake. I have heard of horror stories in Berlin. Of course, it also depends on what your nationality is. It’s generally easier for Canadians, Australians, Americans, etc. Best of luck and if you need any specific tips, just post another comment and I’ll reply. 🙂

  4. Salehj85 says:


    Thank you for these informations, I would like to ask you if three was a certain waiting period tha you should wait after getting married to get your residence permit in Germany ( I know in France the couple should apply for the residency permission only after 6 months of registering their marriage.

    • HelloBonjour says:

      Hi! Nope – not to my knowledge. We were married in Canada mid-March. The only things I needed to do was get the Marriage Certificate certified by the provincial govt (super easy) and then give it to the German Consular in Vancouver to approve it as well. I was in Germany a month later and got my residence permit immediately after showing all my documentation.

      • greg says:

        HI – no we have just asked our immigration officer this and we can apply straight away.

  5. hassan says:

    hello thanks alot you share such a good information i want to ask i am in cyprus and i am married with latvian girl thats our love marriage i want to move to germany which documents i need to apply registration there and how much they take time to give id

  6. Mido says:

    hey… thanks so much for your amazing information, my plan is to get married in germany, so do you have any advises to get the residence and the work permit? while currently i have no job and i put all my saving in an apartment, so my bank statement is not supporting

    • HelloBonjour says:

      Sorry, I really have no idea. We were married before moving to Germany but we still had to show some financial security. I think the fact that you own an apartment would play in your favour. Good luck!

  7. supachan says:

    Hi there!

    i am going through the exact same thing at the moment, getting married in March in Winnipeg then we are trying to figure out which way would be easier to go. We plan on moving back to Germany ASAP. I am wondering around how much of a nest egg they require? Also did you learn german before you went, or when you got there?

  8. supachan says:

    Hi there!

    i am going through the exact same thing at the moment, getting married in March in Winnipeg then we are trying to figure out which way would be easier to go. We plan on moving back to Germany ASAP. I am wondering around how much of a nest egg they require? Also did you learn german before you went, or when you got there?

    • HelloBonjour says:

      When you get married in Canada, you have to get your marriage certificate certified and then also approved at the German consulate. I think those two steps are a lot easier than dealing with the paperwork of getting married in Germany. I didn’t know any German when I got here, and that was no problem. We now live in Berlin, but did all the visa processing in Stuttgart which was very pleasant and lovely. Essentially, if you go with your German spouse, it should all be fine. Canada and Germany has a really good relationship so I think they are extra nice to us! 🙂 As for nest egg, I have no idea how much they require. I think what’s more important is that you have some health insurance until you get onto the German system. Good luck!

  9. Waqas says:

    Dear i need some information about my brother. he is married with German National Girl and my brother cant understand German Language even he appaer German Language Exames many time but he got failed all time now he is very upset and want to go German for his wife and shift there. you can advise with learn the German Language he can move there? if yes how can it possible and if not what he will do?
    Thanks in advance

    • HelloBonjour says:

      If he is married to a German citizen, he should be entitled to do the German integration course here in Germany, where they teach him German. I don’t know but I am pretty sure you can re-do this course many times. I don’t think he needs to speak German BEFORE moving here, as long as he is married to a German citizen and they have a valid marriage certificate. Best of luck!

  10. Shirin Chamas says:

    Thank you for this very helpful blog. I married a German/EU citizen last April 2013. Do I have to wait for 2 yrs of marriage before I can start living/working in Germany? Do I have to live in Germany the whole time after the marriage to gain German citizenship? How soon before I can get a German passport?

    • HelloBonjour says:

      I think it depends where you are from, Shirin. But I didn’t have to wait at all before being able to live/work in Germany. I made sure my marriage certificate was notarized and then also took it to the German Consulate in Canada for some “germanization” and that was all I needed to get my 3 year visa. I got it right on the spot in Stuttgart – no waiting, nothing. I don’t know much about German citizenship or German passport as I am not really interested in getting one. I would have to give up my Canadian passport for that and I’m not willing to. All the best!

  11. Eilu says:

    Hi There, My situation is similar but a little different:
    I am canadian
    My boyfriend is american but works in germany.
    My question is this: if we got married in canada, would it be a big process for me to get a visa to live in germany with him? is that something we can apply for upon arrival in germany, or would I have to apply from canada and wait? any insight on this? (I know your husband is German so perhaps it was different for you)

    • HelloBonjour says:

      I really have no idea on this one. I think it usually works out with husbands and wives of non-germans who work in germany but I really have no idea as to specifics. I’m sorry…and sorry for the late reply!

  12. Sergio says:

    Howdy there ma’am!
    I’m gonna resurrect this post…
    I was wondering if you could help me with some info. I am an American citizen that has already been 4 months in Hamburg, Germany with a tourist VISA (Aufenthaltstitel) wanting to get married to my German girlfriend. We want to get married in Tønder, Denmark for the exact same reasons you mentioned. They ask for too many paperwork in Germany. My question is, whenever they asked you both for financial support, did they want to know if you both had a savings, or jobs already lined up? Did you only need to bring your marriage certificate? And how long did the process take and how long did you have to wait to get your German documents? My girlfriend and I are wanting to get married the 23rd of August, and my VISA expires the 10th of September of this year… Do you think that’s enough time?
    Thanks in advance miss HelloBonjour!

    • HelloBonjour says:

      So sorry for the late reply! Re the financials: no, they only wanted to see some money in a bank account in my husband’s name..no need for us to show jobs lined up, etc. If one of the parties is german, they are usually more relaxed. I hunk there is a list of docs you need to bring, including financial evidence and health insurance, among other things. I got the 3 year visa right away…that was amazing. I mean, right on the spot!

      Best of luck to you! Hope it all works out and again, sorry for the delay!

  13. Namib says:

    Hi I am from Namibia and got married there to my German spouse in 2010 and registered our marriage in Germany back in 2010. We have been living, traveling and working in Africa and now are planing to live in Germany.
    Its required for me to apply for a schengen visa to enter into Germany and different websites state that i can not change the visa status in Germany, which visa did you have when you traveled to Germany and got your 3 year resident permit? and do you have any advice for me as me and my spouse have been married over 4 years?

    • HelloBonjour says:

      Hi there! Thanks for reading! I had read that too about not being able to change your visa status in germany. In my case, I was totally able to. I arrived on 3 month tourist visa (im Canadian so we get a 3 month visa at the border without having to apply beforehand). After I was in germany, I went to the immigration office and got my 3 year visa (after showing them all appropriate documentation). Hope things work out for you. Best of luck!

      • Imran says:

        I am pakistani national.
        I have one year resident permit for italy,(permisso di sogorno)
        My spouse is from Hungary.
        We married in denmark and got a notarized married certificate (Appostile) from copenhagen embassy denmark.
        We want to live and work in germany, what would u suggest,
        Does any body know about my case,
        Thanking in anticipation

  14. Imran says:

    I am pakistani national.
    I have one year resident permit for italy,(permisso di sogorno)
    My spouse is from Hungary.
    We married in denmark and got a notarized married certificate (Appostile) from copenhagen embassy denmark.
    We want to live and work in germany, what would u suggest,
    Does any body know about my case,
    Thanking in anticipation

  15. Carolina says:

    I have a 22 year old son, he has been to Germany many times since we have family in Frankfurt, I just got married my husband its German, does my son apply for the residency as well?, Do I need to speak German?. Thanks

  16. FrauPfaus says:

    I actually have alot of questions that the internet can’t answer and I need all the help I can get. My fiance is residing in Germany and I’m still living in Canada. I want to go back to Germany soon but I don’t know if I need to get marriage forms and stuff while still in Canada, or if I can access everything from within Germany?
    And I have no idea where to even get these things. I don’t know if i’m just searching the wrong keywords but I’m finding zero information about it.
    Any advice or knowledge on the process would be so very greatly appreciated. I’m feeling really desperate and hopeless at the moment and I’m terrified to get over there only to be sent back for not having what I needed.

    • HelloBonjour says:

      Hi. I think we would need more info from you. Are you a Canadian citizen and your fiance is a German citizen? Are you already married or are you guys planning to get married? I can only tell you that getting married in Canada is WAYYYY easier than getting married in Germany. In Germany, there isa lot of paperwork involved – it can be done, it just takes a lot longer. All I can tell you is that we were married in Canada and I entered on a tourist visa (Canadians get 3 months) and then did all the rest of the stuff here in Germany.

      • FrauPfaus says:

        Oh! Okay yes sorry. Yes I’m a Canadian citizen, born in Ontario and he was born in Germany. We aren’t married yet, we’re engaged. But we’re young and broke and we can’t afford to keep travelling back and forth so this is a bit tricky for us.
        What’s process for getting married in Canada vs Germany?
        Like, could we just elope if he came here, would it be the same as it is for two Canadians to marry if we did it in Canada?
        And I can’t seem to find any info on where to even get the paperwork or if I need to pick up paperwork in Canada before I go there or if I can ask for the paperwork within Germany. Sorry I hope it’s not a bother but I feel like I’ve reached a dead end with information.

      • HelloBonjour says:

        Hi! Yes your situation is very similar to how mine was. Process for getting married in Canada is to go get a marriage license (super easy – no problem for him being a German citizen – all you need to show is passport and pay around $100) and then make an appt with the marriage commissioner to say “I DO” (at least that’s how it works in BC – pretty sure it’s the same in Ontario). Anyway, in Germany – there’s lots of paperwork and registration at the different offices. I think the process takes 6 months or so. All i know is we decided to get married in Canada because it was wayyy less work. After you get married, wait for your marriage certificate to come, send it to get “Authenticated” (read all the steps in my post above) and then go to the German Consulate with the certificate and the Authentication so that they can “legalize” it. Then you just come to Germany and do the rest here – you will need to have health insurance (I just got BCAA) and then go to the authorities here with all your stuff and paperwork. Does that help?

      • FrauPfau says:

        Hello! It’s been a long time, I actually lost this post a long time ago I apologize.
        Yes you answered quite alot for me thank you! I was wondering (even though its been over a year since I asked) if there were a few more questions you could answer for me.
        I just want to make sure I understand everything correctly.
        I’m still looking at marrying in Canada and then moving to Germany shortly after but now things have changed slightly. We’re expecting a child, yay us!
        And the plan is for me to have the baby in Canada and then bring it to Germany with us. Is there a certain amount of time after getting married that you needed to stay in Canada before coming to Germany?
        We want to stay in Canada for 2 months after the baby is born to spend time with my family and pack up my stuff to move to Germany but because I’ve been surviving on welfare money and they try to make things complicated once a marriage with someone who lives in another country is involved I can’t marry him until the beginning of the last month we’re suppose to stay. (Sorry if I’m making things hard to understand, its difficult to understand myself.) But I just wanted to know if you had any problems with time management and if you knew whether or not I could pull-off marrying then coming directly to Germany and staying there seeing as I won’t have enough money to get myself home if something goes wrong.
        If you have any questions about anything I asked please let me know and thank you so much for any advice or help you have for me.

      • HelloBonjour says:

        Hi there, I’m so sorry for the delay in responding to this! Blame it on the summer vacations! Anyway, to answer your question, I don’t think there is any amount of time you need to be married before coming over. I was only married a month before moving to Germany and I don’t even think I gave any thought to the amount of time we were married. That didn’t even cross my mind. Once you are married, it’s done. Just don’t forget to do all the stuff with the marriage certificate – getting it legalized and taking it to the German embassy and all that. Best of luck – and please let me know if you have other questions – I’m back from vacation mode and will be more responsive!

  17. ajacks04 says:

    Hi! There seems to be so much conflicting information going around about this process. But I was wondering whether you needed to translate any official documents such as marriage certificate, birth certificate etc? Or if the authenticated marriage certificate along with the other forms and passports etc was enough at the Ausländerbehörde for the 3 year visa?

    • HelloBonjour says:

      Sorry for the delay in getting back to you on this one – I was in Canada for vacation! Anyway, I didn’t need to translate my marriage certificate – I did have it legalized, etc. (as mentioned in the article) and that was sufficient. I have never had anything translated since being here.

  18. Regen says:

    Hello there,

    Thank you very much for the information. I am in similar situation as you were. I Am Korean and my husband is German and we both live and work in Malaysia for almost 9 years now. We got married in November 2013 and we are thinking to move to Germany in the end of 2016. We got our marriage certificate legalized in the Embassy and they sent the document to Standesamt in Germany and 2 months later we got our German marriage certificate.
    I have been searching for any information that helps us to prepare all the documents or any other things that need to be done before moving. I will start my German class next year because I need to pass A1 before moving. I read your articles and you mentioned about submitting bank statement for some evidence of financial support. Is the bank statement from the bank in Germany or Canada? My husband has not opened any account in any bank in Germany. So maybe he needs to open one when we go there for holiday this year. Did you get health insurance in Germany when you first arrived? Did you and your husband settle health insurance first before going to Foreigner’s office?

    Thanks in advance.

    • HelloBonjour says:

      Hi! Thanks for your comment. It definitely feels like a lot of work preparing all the documents, doesn’t it? As for the bank statements, I think they were from Canada and from Germany. I don’t think it really matters where the bank is..as long as it is in your name and there is money in there! 🙂 Of course, having something familiar (in a German bank) would probably be a plus. And yes, I did get health insurance in CANADA (From a Canadian insurance – just a regular traveler’s insurance) before I arrived so it was already in place BEFORE we went to the Immigration office. I think that’s important for them to see that you are insured already. I’m not sure what the process is like getting health insurance once in Germany (they are weird with wanting to see a lot of documents) and getting it in Canada was SUPER EASY so I just went that route. Best of luck to you!!

      • Rabih says:

        Hi, Your thread have been very helpful.
        I have a similar case as yours. My wife is German and we have a 4 year old daughter. We are planning to move there very soon but we had lots of questions on our mind that we were not able to find answers to.

        I was wondering, when you get your residency are you allowed to leave the country or you would have to stay there?
        As for the bank statement, do you have any idea what the minimum amount should be?

      • HelloBonjour says:

        Hi thanks for your comment! Hmm, you are definitely allowed to leave the country when you get your resident visa because I left quite a few times for vacation. I think, like many countries, there is a minimum requirement – that you are in the country for over 200 days or something (you have to check this) but you are definitely allowed to leave for short trips. As for the bank statement, unfortunately I have no idea. I also tried researching this amount when I was applying for my visa but there was no information out there. I think it is just up to the agent who reviews your case to determine whether the amount is sufficient or not.

        Best of luck!

  19. Manon says:

    Hi! Thanks for the great post, it’s super helpful and well-written. I’m Canadian and my partner is German (same situation as yours). We plan on moving over to Germany mid-December. I just have a few questions:
    – Did they actually check your bank statements? How much funds do you need to have?
    – Did you have a return flight or one-way flight? Did they check this at the boarder? And what did you tell them at the boarder (that you were married and moving to Germany with your husband)?
    Thank you so much!

    • HelloBonjour says:

      Hi! Thanks for your comment! Re your questions: we did present our bank statements and we also didn’t know how much the “right amount” was. We showed them our account which had a “normal” amount of money in it. To be honest, I don’t think they can really deny you anything based on the amount in your bank statement. Marrying a German means you automatically get rights in Germany – it’s actually a lot better than if the situation was reversed and you were trying to get into Canada. So, the point being, I wouldn’t place too too much value on the bank statement requirement. Re: return flight – I actually only had a one way flight and I was also worried about what to say at the border! They asked me at the border if I realized I didn’t have a return flight, and I said yes – and that if I knew I could only stay for 3 months on my visa and I said yes. I didn’t mention anything about my husband or planning on staying permanently in Germany – I guess I could have – I don’t know – I just didn’t feel like telling them because they had no authority, in my view, to really know. I said I was just visiting and was going to figure stuff out later but that I knew I had only 3 months. I’m not sure what the right answer is in this regard. I’m happy if I can be of any help. Best of luck!

  20. Manon says:

    Thank you so much for the answers! Once again, super helpful 🙂 We’re getting married on September 21st – hoping the last 2 steps go smoothly from there. We live in New-Brunswick so both the authentication and the legalization will need to be done by mail… and we’re heading to Germany on December 13th. 🙂

  21. Rene says:

    Hi HelloBonjour, thank you for this thread…I am awaiting several documents to proof my German ancestry, however was browsing to see what will happen with my spouse and children if I do get a passport…..Does my husband and children get a passport if I get a German passport or do I need to apply for something different for them? And, what if I get the German passport, but do not decide to move to Germany, can my husband and children still benefit from my passport? and last question…….Can you move freely in the EU with that visa? Hope you will be able to help me I know I am taking a fat chance. thanks Rene

    • HelloBonjour says:

      Hi Rene. I have not gone through the procedure to get a German passport so I’m not sure I’m the best person to ask your questions. You have to be careful as Germany may or may not require you to give up other passports in order to get the German one. I don’t know as I haven’t researched it myself – I don’t see any need to change my Canadian passport. I do know that I technically could apply for a German passport after living in Germany with a permanent resident visa, I think, for 8 years or so. I think, in order to get the German passport for your spouse and children, they need to be living in Germany for the amount of time. And yes, you can move freely within the EU with the spousal aufenthaltserlaubnis (visa) – I know because I traveled to many other EU countries with it. No problems. Remember, I’m not an expert and am just guessing with what I remember researching back then. Best of luck with everything!

  22. Renny says:

    Thank you SO much for posting this! The information was very helpful given my current situation. I am an American/Canadian dual citizen and my boyfriend is German and moving back in a few months. We have been together 3 years and are now talking about marriage. I am looking for a job there for an American military base (I work for the US Govt. currently and would be able to transfer within my career field) but if that doesn’t pan out, it is good to know that us getting married would allow me to obtain ability to work there so easily and I love that you can take German classes! Right now I have a very basic level of German and would want to become fluent as soon as possible, which I know would be a much easier once I move there. We would also be moving to Stuttgart 🙂 Have you started working over there yet or are you planning to?

    • HelloBonjour says:

      Hi there!! So sorry for the late reply! I was a bit out of touch as I was visiting Canada the past couple of weeks! I’m happy I could be of some help. I think there are a lot of Americans here in the Stuttgart area working for the military or the US Govt. I think you can choose either an “American” life where you just hang out with other Americans/expats or try for more of an integrated approach. I know quite a few Americans who just live on base and don’t really bother dealing with learning German or Germans, as they don’t really need to. But if you were living in Stuttgart, you would definitely be putting your German to use! It’s helped so much that people don’t speak English as well here as compared to Berlin! 🙂 I haven’t started working yet as I’ve been busy having a family 🙂 but eventually I do start planning on working. That will be the next challenge, I am sure! Best of luck to you and thanks for reading!

      • Renny says:

        No problem at all! Thanks for the reply and congrats on starting a family! Hope you had a great visit to Canada. I would love to take the integrated approach and learn German as soon as possible, since this move will be (hopefully) a permanent one and not just a 3 year tour like most military/civilians there have, and also because most of my boyfriends family and friends don’t speak English (he’s from a very small town) and I want to be able to communicate with them! Another question, not sure if you know, but would a marriage visa allow you to go to school there as an EU citizen? Another option for me if I can’t find a job would be to go back to school for a second Masters or a PhD and I’ve done some research and found a lot of international degrees that are all in English and topics of interest for me. I’ve also just considered applying as a US citizen to some of their programs, but I wasn’t sure if having the Visa would help or hinder me? Thanks so much!

      • HelloBonjour says:

        I’ve also been looking into this – in terms of studying for a Masters, etc. Especially when one considers how affordable tuition here is compared to the U.S. or even Canada these days. From what I can gather, I think it depends on the University – so check with each University first. I spoke with one of them, I think in Holland, and they said that if I had the permanent resident visa for Germany (the one that you get after the first three year visa – the one with a bit more paperwork involved), then you are treated as an EU Student. I didn’t really research much further considering our family situation right now, but I definitely think there are some ways to talk your way into the lower tution rates for EU students.

      • Renny says:

        Yes the low cost for tuition was extremely appealing to me, I will definitely look into different schools individually to see how it works, thanks for the tip!

  23. Cecilia B says:

    Hi! I was curious what is going to be your next step? I am also a Canadian who married a German. I had a Jugendmobilitat for 1 year then got married and have had a 3 year Aufenthaltserlaubnis which is coming up. I’m trying to decide what visa comes next! What will you do?

    • HelloBonjour says:

      Hello! I also had my 3 year Aufenthaltserlaubnis up for renewal last spring. I thought about going for the permanent resident visa but there was just so much paperwork that I decided to instead renew my Aufenthaltserlaubnis (which you easily can do by just making an appointment – it’s really an easy stamp). I’d like to do the permanent resident visa, as I think you can then study and attend University classes as a EU citizen, but I just need to get the paperwork in order. It’s really not much work – you need financials, a statement from your landlord, etc. But having a kid makes you postpone any paperwork! 🙂 Good luck to you!!

  24. Preetam says:

    Hi !

    Your article makes it so easy to understand.

    However I have a certain query and I will be glad if you could help.
    I am from INDIA and I am getting married to a German girl, but my fiancee is still pursuing her studies (has a part-time job and earns around 600 euros) and do not have enough fund to show to support my living.
    I have around 10000 euros in my bank and I own a flat in India too. She can show around 10000 euros from her parents. Do you think this is enough to support financial requirement?
    I intend to get a residence + work permit and work there.

    • HelloBonjour says:

      HI there, from my understanding, if you are married to a German citizen, there is very little they can do to take away your right to live in Germany with your spouse, especially in terms of finances. I think the amount you guys have should be fine – I’m definitely not an expert, but I think they just want to see a bit of money in your account. You will just have to try it and see. Remember, if you are getting married outside of Germany, don’t forget to get everything legalized. And if you are planning on getting married in Germany, don’t forget that there is some paperwork/bureaucracy that you have to deal with to get the marriage papers. It can sometimes take a lot of time to process! Good luck!

  25. Alex says:

    Hi, HelloBonjour. I was wondering if this thread is still active?

  26. Alex says:

    Hello, I am Canadian Citizen and married to a German citizen. We are planning on moving to Germany in 6 months and once there apply for my initial resident. My question is: I want to ship my car and effects and not sure what the process with regard to tax and paperwork I need from Canada and wether I need to translate anything. As well since I will be a non resident of Canada, and I am receiving a military pension, do I declare that there and do I start paying tax on that even though it’s entered into my Canadian bank account.

    • HelloBonjour says:

      Hi there! Sorry for the delay in getting back to you! Unfortunately, I have no idea regarding tax and shipping personal items. That’s a situation I didn’t have to deal with. Wishing you luck in finding the answers you need!

  27. Zoe says:

    Hi! I just wanted to say thank you for this very informative post! Also, if by any chance you are still willing to respond to questions on this issue, do you know if marrying a German citizen allows you to apply to/attend a German university without needing a student visa? Any information on this would be VERY helpful. Thank you in advance!

    • HelloBonjour says:

      Hello! Yes, I am still active and happy this post is helpful. I don’t have the full answer to your question, but I can tell you this much. Marrying a German citizen just give you the right to have a 3 year visa. This probably wouldn’t suffice as a permanent resident-type visa that a school would need. However, you can easily get your permanent residency after being married and living in Germany – you need to do some paperwork for the Niederlassungserlaubnis- and then you have your permanent residence permit. I would think that you would need to ask each university on a case-by-case basis what they accept, but you would have a strong argument when you have permanent residency! Hope that’s helpful and good luck!

  28. kankam gloria says:

    hello i want your hep i have married and my husband is living in German he is citizen and also i live Ghana and we got married in Ghana 03.12.2017 now we want to join i want you to help documents i must prepare to embassy before visa must be given

  29. Dee says:

    First off great blog, I’m in almost the exact situation and found this very useful. I have a question regarding your health insurance. Once you received your residence permit were you eligible for government provided insurance?

    • HelloBonjour says:

      HI Dee, I can’t answer that question unfortunately, as my husband was privately insured when I got my permit, so I just joined his plan. Sorry couldn’t be more helpful!


Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: